Once you’ve made the decision to become a cosmetologist, choosing the right school can be daunting. With so many options, how can you possibly know which cosmetology school will be a good fit? Here are some tips that can help you on your journey to becoming a cosmetologist!
- Know your state’s requirements. Requirements for obtaining a cosmetology license can vary from state to state. Knowing what your state requires and which schools offer these will help guide you in the right direction.
- Do your research!
- The Internet contains a wealth of information about the cosmetology industry. The best way to start your search is by finding the cosmetology schools located in your state. Once you have found the schools near you, do a little digging by visiting their websites. This will go a long way in helping you weed out the schools that might not be a good fit for your specific needs. While all schools have to provide, at a minimum, the state requirements, it is a good idea to look for a school that provides some extras that will give you a leg up in your future career.
- Talk to your stylist. You most likely found your stylist by word of mouth and continued to see him or her because of their talent and skill. Stylists tend to keep up with industry trends and standards – this can also include cosmetology schools. They can be a great guide in what you should be looking for, as well as which schools are better than others.
- Schedule visits. Now that you have made a list of the schools you are interested in, it’s time to make some phone calls and schedule visits with the cosmetology school’s admission representatives. They can provide you with the background of the schools, the school’s success rates, and any other pertinent information that you might be looking for.
- Ask questions! When you go in for your visit, go in armed and ready to ask the important questions. Is the school accredited? Do they offer financial aid? What are the prerequisites to become a cosmetology student? Do they offer extras that go above and beyond state requirements?
- Is it a fit? Use your visit to get a feel for the school. You can usually determine whether the school will be a good fit by your interaction with the school’s administration and staff. Be sure to ask about financials – while the school may be a good fit personally, will it be financially?
Being prepared and thorough in your search will help to steer you in the right direction. Explore our website for more information about cosmetology and education!
Article by: Imma Rybczyk